Thursday 10 March 2011

Dale Chihuly - the art of making beautiful chandeliers

One month ago I was in London. On a Friday night I decided to go to the V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum - www.vam.ac.uk) which is one of my favorite places in London - not only because it's a beautiful museum displaying wonderful works of art, but mainly because I like its bookshop- (ok, I have to admit it...I have a weakness for museums bookshops and I am totally addicted to the little gadgets they sell- from pencils to rubbers, from cups to bags).
Well when I entered the museum I was enchanted by the the 30 foot Chandelier just above the information  desk...I kept staring at it thinking...."Where on earth have I seen it before?".

And it was only yesterday, while I was looking at old pics, that I actually realized that that beautiful Chandelier was the same I saw in San Francisco 3 years ago.
The designer is a faboulous glass artist, Dale Chihuly. Have a look at his website, it's stunning!! (http://www.chihuly.com/)
Born in 1941 in Tacoma, USA, Chihuly worked at the Venini glass factory in Venice where he learnt how to blow glass. Back to the US  he cofounded the Pilchuck Glass School in Washington State and became the avant-garde leader in the development of glass as a fine art. His work is included in more than 200 hundred museum collections worldwide.
Here are some of the pics I took in London (2011) and San Francisco (2008)...


Pic 1. The entrance at the V&A Museum, London


Pics 2-11 Chihuly exhibition in San Francisco













No comments:

Post a Comment